So far this year there have been 131,000 confirmed flu cases and tragically, 287 people have died.
While the figures are alarming, Queensland Health reports many people avoid going to the Doctor due to time constraints, work commitments or because they believe their illness is not serious.
Doctors are urging people to get vaccinated and to become aware of the real dangers of influenza. People should educate themselves on the seriousness of the flu, consult with their regular GP and become aware of the other services that can help, like Phone Call Doctor.
There is a difference between the common cold and the flu and it is important people are aware of the more serious symptoms. Flu symptoms include:
- Fever or feeling chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Some people may have vomiting or diarrhoea though this is more common in children
For those who are too busy to go into the doctors, there are services where you can video call or phone a doctor and have medical certificates and prescriptions sent straight to your email.
There are simple steps you can take to avoid the flu and keep your family healthy this winter.
- Take your family to get vaccinated.
- Ensure you cover your mouth when sneezing and coughing to avoid spreading germs.
- Wash your hands frequently throughout the day and before meals.
- Become aware of the video doctor and other services available.
- Do not ignore flu symptoms and stay home to avoid spreading it.
The best way to fight the flu is to become aware of the symptoms and contact your Doctor when you start to experience them. One of the main reasons the flu becomes fatal is because people ignore how they are feeling and let their conditions worsen before getting help.