Health Information Search Results
Peer Reviewed Scientific Research Reports.
|<< Prev 20 ||Showing 1 to 4 of 4 Matches||Next 20 >>|
1. Acute thiamine deficiency in diabetic ketoacidosis: Diagnosis and management.
Match Strength: 11.521
OBJECTIVE: Persistent encephalopathy in a patient with diabetic ketoacidosis is often feared as a sign of cerebral edema. Although thiamine deficiency is a rare diagnosis in children, marginal nutritional status and osmotic diuresis may be risk factors. The objective was to describe a heretofore unreported cause of encephalopathy in a child with diabetic ketoacidosis and review the mechanisms and pathophysiology of thiamine deficiency in this clinical scenario. DESIGN: Case report and review of the literature. SETTING: Pediatric intensive care unit of a tertiary care pediatric hospital. ... Read More »
» Published in Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2006 Nov;7(6):595-9.
2. A large splenic cyst mimicking diabetic gastroparesis.
Match Strength: 10.150
Splenic cysts are rare, many of which are asymptomatic and incidental finding. We report an interesting case of a large incidental splenic cyst in a young diabetic patient who presented with diabetic ketoacidosis and mimicking gastroparesis. The differential diagnosis and management of splenic cysts is discussed ... Read More »
» Published in Int J Clin Pract. 2006 Oct;60(10):1317-8.
3. Flexible intensive insulin therapy in adults with type 1 diabetes and high risk for severe hypoglycemia and diabetic ketoacidosis.
Match Strength: 9.577
OBJECTIVE: Diabetes treatment and teaching programs (DTTPs) for type 1 diabetes, which teach flexible intensive insulin therapy to enable dietary freedom, have proven to be safe and effective in routine care. This study evaluates DTTP outcomes in patients at high risk for severe hypoglycemia and severe ketoacidosis. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: There were 96 diabetes centers that participated between 1992 and 2004. A total of 9,583 routine-care patients with type 1 diabetes were examined before and 1 year after a DTTP. History of repeated severe hypoglycemia/severe ketoacidosis was an ... Read More »
» Published in Diabetes Care. 2006 Oct;29(10):2196-9.
4. Glycemic control with continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion with use of U-500 insulin in a pregnant patient.
Match Strength: 4.266
OBJECTIVE: To demonstrate the benefits and to advocate the safety and efficacy of using an insulin pump with U-500 insulin in comparison with U-100 insulin for a pregnant patient with diabetes requiring massive doses of insulin. METHODS: We present a detailed case report about the use of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion with U-500 insulin during pregnancy. Dose calculation is reviewed, and the benefits of insulin pump therapy in patients with diabetes are discussed. RESULTS: A 34-year-old white woman, with a history of type 2 diabetes for 7 years, was seen at 17 weeks of gestation ... Read More »
» Published in Endocr Pract. 2006 Sep-Oct;12(5):542-4.
|<< Prev 20 ||Showing results 1 to 4 of 4||Next 20 >>|
* All information on Level1Diet.com is for educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Before changing your diet, or adding supplements to your diet, or beginning an exercise program, everyone should consult a qualified and licensed health practitioner; a physician, dietician or similar professional.